The ABCs of Respecting your man

Respect.

What is it and why does it matter so much?

Did you know that most men crave, even need, respect more than love? That is a foreign concept to most women who long for a man to love them.

loveorrespect

What inevitably happens in a relationship or marriage, is the woman loves her husband the way she longs for, and respect is forgotten.

Ladies, your man NEEDS your respect.

Alright we get it, we want to respect our man.

But, how?

Maybe it is because I am teaching my toddler the ABCs, or maybe it is just because it is catchy, but I came up with a list of things we can do with and for our man to make him feel respected following the ABCs.ABCs respect

You can print this list if you want and hang it somewhere you can remember, or you can just bookmark (or pin) this page and come back to look at it. Either way, I highly encourage you to work on some of these each day.

ABCs of Respecting Your Man Printable

Next week, I will work on breaking these down into smaller pieces and deeper explanations.

In the meantime, try something scary, ask your man, “What are some things that I do that show you respect?” Then follow up with, “What are some things that I do that show disrespect to you?” That should keep you busy until next week, when we explore this further!

What is something you do to show respect to your man (whether it be your boyfriend, husband, dad, whoever)?

22 comments

1. Georgia Reed says:

I always brag to everyone about my husband. His love language is words of affirmation which i stink at. So I’m working on (and have been for 8 years!) telling him more every day instead of only telling other people. Thanks for this post!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Oh man, I can help you with the words of affirmation (cause that’s my language) if you can help me figure out the acts of service language! 😉

• Beauty for ashes says:

Thank you! I’m going to hang mine in the kitchen…when I need these reminders the most! 🙂 Are there any you would add to this list?

2. Brittany at 17 Hour Days says:

Great post! I’ve known for a while now that I need to be more respectful; I just didn’t know how. Definitely going to pin this list for later. And I already shared on Twitter!

• Beauty for ashes says:

We are in it together, I am still learning! Thanks for sharing BTW! 🙂

3. Durenda Wilson says:

Love the printable! So great to be able to have something close by to reference regularly because I forget! Even after 25 years of marriage!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Durenda, I would love any wisdom you have to share after 25 years of marriage! 🙂

• Durenda Wilson says:

Sorry this took me so long. Wisdom on marriage? I can see from the comments here that you are all on the right track! Respect and knowing love languages is super important. I also have used knowledge of the four different temperaments. I learned them from Gary Smalley videos we watched(Hidden Keys to Loving Relationships-may be on youtube, you can find them about anywhere, but Gary does a great job of explaining them in laymen’s terms) and that has helped a ton along with remembering how very different men and women are…their conquering natures vs our nurturing ones. I think that may be covered in the Love and Respect material, but I am not sure. My husband and I have a VERY good marriage, by God’s grace. We agree on most things, but when a decision needs to be made and we don’t, we either wait (if we can) until we have both prayed about it (which usually leads to agreement) and if we cannot wait or come to agreement, I go with his decision as the leader of our home. The other thing is that I have to resist the urge to try and change him. It’s so awesome to read all the comments here and see wives who really want to love their husbands well!

• Beauty for ashes says:

I love this Durenda! Thank you for sharing! I agree that knowing love languages is HUGE. I keep wanting my hubby to spend time with me, when he just wants a clean kitchen 😉 I might need to check out Gary Smalley’s videos, thank you for that! Also, I totally agree that it is easy to want to try and change our husbands, but we have to remember that isn’t our job, it’s God’s!

4. Brenda says:

Lol. I like how this is broken down by alphabet. I’m still not sure, though, how love and respect are different? These sound like loving things to me.

• Beauty for ashes says:

Oh Brenda, I totally didn’t either until I got married. There is a lot of crossover, some things are loving and respectful. But they are not one in the same. Thank you for giving me an idea for a new blog post! 😉

5. Melissa says:

Love this! I’m sharing this with my moms of young children Bible study group. They are at that time in life where being a wife sometimes gets put on the back burner unintentionally. This is a great reminder! I’ve been married 25 years and still need a reminder to purposefully show my husband how much I respect him… and love him – especially in front of our boys!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Melissa, thank you for wanting to share this! I agree, marriage is something that has to be VERY intentional and takes work. After 25 years of marriage, would you add anything to this list?

Comments are closed.