5 Ways to Stay Sane as a Stay at Home Mom

Being a stay at home mom is one of the greatest, hardest, joyous, and toughest job there is. (Tweet this)

The days are long, some days are REALLY long. It is emotionally and physically exhausting. The endless diapers, constant use of the word ‘no’, the screams of delight, seemingly endless mealtimes…it is the stuff of crazy making.

So, how does a semi-normal stay at home mama (like yourself) stay sane amidst it all?

stay sane as a stay at home mom

Here are a few ideas that have helped me, I would love to hear any additional ideas you have in the comments!

1. Sleep – it seems counter intuitive. You don’t get much sleep as a mama. But you need a lot of it. Especially if you are pregnant or nursing. Your body needs the energy to keep chasing after those precious babies. So, mama, stop checking Facebook. Stop Pinning. Put the book away. Go to sleep. Your body, your husband and your kids will thank you.delightofachild1

2. Have a schedule – This has been so helpful to keep me sane in the midst of the insanity. My little gal knows that at a certain time of day, it is nap time. It is just how it is, therefore, there is no fighting or fussing. She goes and gets her Ducky and crawls into bed. She also knows that after nap time, it is usually time to eat. So, it cuts down on the amount of times she says, “Eat” every day. Because of the routine, she only says it 59 times instead of 1,234 times. (kidding)

3. Mama’s Time Out – This could be just time to poop in peace. Oh the luxuries that we took for granted when we were working. One thing that has helped me, is journaling. I love being able to process what is going on in my head and heart. If you need help coming up with some journaling ideas, check out this series; Mama’s Time Out.

mamastimeout

4. Teach your kids to play independently – My daughter is happy just to play by herself. Granted, I make an effort to spend time with her each day doing educational activities, but most of the day, she is happy just to play with things independently. Pom Poms have been a lifesaver. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve that I will be sharing in the next week. Whatever it is you use, train them to play by themselves. (Right now, while I’m working, my daughter is playing with pool noodles)

pompomsgavemeanhour

5. Have a monthly get away – This isn’t a week long vacation (you wish!), this is just an hour or two, for you to get away. My husband has committed to giving me this time each month. It is just a few hours where I can go and do what I want. I can journal, read a book, shop for myself, whatever. This is so important, so you can remember who you are without kids. It feels weird. Honestly, it feels a little…lonely. But it is so essential.

There you have it, 5 simple but effective ways to keep your sanity while being a stay at home mom.

What would you add to this list?

If you liked these tips, will you please share them with other mamas you know! Let’s help each other stay sane!

26 comments

• Beauty for ashes says:

Oh me too, my daughter does an amazing job at this. Here’s hoping my son will too. What are some tricks you have to keep them playing independently?

• Julie says:

Having twins? I guess that’s not really a trick though ๐Ÿ˜‰ The twins have always played together well, and now their little brother just wants to play with them.

• Beauty for ashes says:

Oh girl, it is a LOT of changes. I had my little one last November, so we are a year apart on having babies! J It is the most fulfilling and hardest job.

1. Skye @ Planet Jinxatron says:

Definitely the sleep. You feel like you’re getting more done or making time for yourself if you don’t go to bed, but it’s all a house of cards.

I’m a little leery at the idea of training kids to play independently. Not all children are alike. Some of them get to that stage quicker or more differently than others! ๐Ÿ™‚ Introverts vs. extroverts, what kinds of activities their brains need at the time to grow, etc.

• Beauty for ashes says:

So true, sometimes I just try to do “one more thing” and end up getting a few hours less sleep. Which means I am Mommy Monster in the morning!

Very true about independent play. My toddler loves playing by herself, but I have a feeling my son is going to be a whole different ballgame!

2. MrsAshleyEm says:

I agree with these tips!! My time out is my blog ๐Ÿ™‚ I call it my “me time” and it’s a great outlet. The independent play was working with us but as he got older that got harder, I just need my infant to hurry up and play with my 3 year old lol!!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Oh no, that’s bad news to me if your little one stopped playing indepdently. If my toddler stopped, I’m just not sure what I would do!

• MrsAshleyEm says:

We still encourage him to, I can’t put everything on hold to play. I thinking changed because of the baby, he wants that attention from us so I find times that he gets the one on one but he still has to find times to play alone.

• Beauty for ashes says:

That one on one is so huge, I really need to be better about that with my munchkins.

• Beauty for ashes says:

Thank you! I am definitely looking forward to my little one getting older so he and the toddler can play together more.

3. Heather says:

Oh to have a schedule again! We recently moved and our children are going from being at home for school, back into the classroom come fall. Our schedule has been a mess for the last six months. Oh, we threw a new baby in there too. Great list. Gives me hope for the future.
    Heather @ theeangelproject.wordpress.com

• Beauty for ashes says:

Heather, I am realizing I need to update my schedule. My toddler is starting to let go of her naptimes, which means some adjustment. Sounds like your life has been crazy lately and a schedule might do you some good. You knowโ€ฆwhen life slows down!

4. Kat Jeter says:

Stopping by from Handmade Tuesdays. Glad it’s not only me thinking I’m going insane. Some days I can’t even find time to brush my teeth or even shower. Hardest job ever but most rewarding!

5. Susan says:

An excellent list. I would add, since some moms don’t have a husband who can give them a break, co-op with another mom. Trade off watching each other’s kids to give each other that time off.

6. cannapedia.me says:

Merely to follow up on the update of this theme on your web page and would like to let you know how
    much I liked the time you took to create this beneficial post.
    Inside the post, you actually spoke of how to
    actually handle this matter with all convenience.

It would be my pleasure to get together some more tips from your web-site and come up to offer other people what
    I have benefited from you. Thank you for your usual good effort.
    cannapedia.me recently posted…cannapedia.me