Best Things to Buy at Costco

I go to Costco a lot. I mean like, every week or so.

Okay, how about this, I go to Costco so much that my husband and I are looking to move. However, it is prerequisite that a Costco must be nearby. How many people base their home buying decisions on Costco?

Top 10 Items to Buy at Costco

Have I convinced you that I know what I’m talking about yet?

I am also great at saving money at the ‘regular’ stores. I went to Target last week and bought over $60 worth of product for $20 and received a $10 gift card.

So, when I buy something at Costco, it is truly, truly because it is the BEST price.

Here are some of my favorite buys at Costco:

Almond/Soy Milk – Costco usually has these for about $2.50 each, in a package of 3. And, they are organic. It is rare to find them at the grocery for less than that, and practically impossible if it is organic.

Cheese – I usually buy the block cheese and shred it myself. It is a little cheaper than the shredded. Still, even the shredded is cheaper than I can find at the grocery.

Milk – Many times, I can find this on sale somewhere, but when I can’t…Costco is my best bet.

Spinach – This comes in a HUGE bag, you can’t find this much spinach for the price anywhere else.

Bagels– These come from Einsten Bagel Bakerys, and they are super yummy.

Gift Cards – You can usually get these for quite a bit off. Sometimes over the holidays (any holiday where gift giving happens), you get even better deals. For example:I purchased a $100 gift card for $60 at Christmas.

Frozen Veggies – Granted these aren’t always cheaper, but there are things that make them better. First, most of them are organic. Second, they are much better quality. I bought some non-organic frozen veggies at Wal-Mart for a few cents cheaper than the organic Costco veggies. I used the Wal-Mart kind one night and the Costco brand the next. The Wal-Mart broccoli was almost all stems, while the Costco kind looked more like real broccoli would look cut up.

Rotisserie Chicken – Not the best price necessarily, but definitely the best tasting. This is one of the quickest and easiest meals my family can have. We can easily eat on one of these birds for multiple days.

Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese – ounce for ounce, these are much cheaper than what I can find at the grocery.

Dog Food – I get a forty pound bag for twenty five bucks. It is not the cheapest, but I have found that with dog food, you don’t always want to go with the cheapest (ahem, Wal Mart brand), when we first got our dog, Maggie, we gave her the cheapest and she pooped ALL THE TIME. It is like that stuff just came right out of her. We ended up having to feed her more of it so she wasn’t always hungry. So not worth it. Get the stuff that is a little bit more money, because in the long run, you will probably be saving.

What would you add? Do you disagree with anything on this list?

Did you see this post on what NOT to buy at Costco?

23 comments

1. Nan a.k.a Granny Fabulosa says:

They’re building a Costco nearby. I am so excited! Thanks for the tips

• Beauty for ashes says:

Yes! Come back tomorrow for a list of what not to buy, you will want to make sure not to do too much impulse buying or you will cut into your grocery budget DRASTICALLY!

2. Jamie @ Life of Creed says:

I LOVE Costco too! In the States I had never been to a Costco, but since living in Japan, I fell in love and will continue my membership when I get back to the States. Sometimes I go just to buy one item, lol. Sharing this on Pinterest and Google+.

• Beauty for ashes says:

Jamie, I have heard that Costco is much more popular in Asia. Have you found that to be true?
      Thanks for sharing by the way! J

• Beauty for ashes says:

I may have to check that out, we aren’t very good at eating salads, but I am hoping to change that… Do you have a favorite salad recipe?

3. susan says:

I love Costco. My observation is that they might not have the lowest price but that they always have the lowest price for the same quality.

• Beauty for ashes says:

You have to way the pros and cons of membership. It is $40 a year, but for our family, it is worth it!

4. Laura @ Little Bits of Granola says:

This is a great list! I also get the 10# bag of organic carrots. Non-organic carrots are cheaper elsewhere, but the price is still very competitive. I also get the boxes of canned organic tomato sauce. Those are nice to have on hand.

• Beauty for ashes says:

That’s a lot of carrots! What do you do with them all? I would love more carrot ideas!

5. Angie B. says:

I wish we had a costco near us. the nearest warehouse club of any kind is about 45 minutes away. We are slowly getting more things in the area. I’d love to see a Costco

• Beauty for ashes says:

Love costco! The closest one used to be 30 minutes away so I would only go once or twice a month. Now, I have one about 15 minutes away!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Ours is hit and miss. Sometimes, it is drastically cheaper, but other times it is the same price or even more expensive

Comments are closed.