Psst: Are we friends on Twitter yet?
Yesterday, I gave you a list of some of the best things to buy at Costco.
Today, I want to warn you by telling you what NOT to buy at Costco. Some of these things seem like a great deal, but compared to the grocery or drugstore, they aren’t.
1. The produce – It looks good. There’s a lot of it. What a deal, right? Nope. The produce that you find at Costco is just the same that you would find at the grocery, but usually more expensive. (Spinach is an exception for me, as I shared yesterday) Look at the price per pound in the corner of the Costco price tag, and you will see what I mean. Bananas for 52 cents a pound? We can get them here normally for 46 cents and on sale for as low as 33 cents.
2. Shampoo and Conditioner – I usually get both of these products at the drugstore for free or almost free. Unless there is a brand you like that isn’t found at the drugstore, then pass.
3. Razors and Shaving cream – Same as above, these are products I get for free or almost at CVS. Pass on these while at Costco.
4. Books – I see people perusing the books every time I go. I just want to go over there and say, “Don’t you realize you can get these SO much cheaper online?” It’s true. Check out Amazon, Half Price Books, even eBay has great deals on books.
5. Cereal – With sales and coupons, you can buy cereal for much cheaper in the grocery store. I can usually get a box of cereal at the grocery store for around a dollar. Compared to Costco’s prices, you should just stick with the grocery.
6. Condiments – Unless you are hosting a mondo humongous party, you probably don’t need twenty pounds of mayo (slight exaggeration, I’m not sure the exact size Costco sells). It may be cheaper than what you find at the grocery, but if you only use a small amount before it expires…it ends up being more expensive in the long run.
7. Water – Water bottles go on sale all the time (especially around the start of school), don’t overspend on these unless you absolutely need to. For that matter, buy some good water bottles and reuse them. That’s even better.
8. Meat – This one is very controversial. Costco has very high quality products, so you will definitely enjoy the meat you buy there. However, you can and will find better prices elsewhere. You may not want to trade quality for the price point, but if you are solely focused on saving money, then skip the meat.
9. Pasta – Boxes of pasta go on sale all the time. As much as it sounds easy and cheaper to buy in bulk, it is actually much easier to stock up on pasta when it goes on sale. It’s even CHEAPER and way more fun to make your pasta at home!
What would you add to this list? Anything that we should absolutely not purchase from Costco?
Some of the links above contain affiliate links, see my disclosure policy here