How I save money on cheese

My husband and I are trying to eat less meat.

It’s expensive and it clogs up your arteries. Or so I’ve been told.

Since we are carnivores at heart, it has been hard for me to make the transition to more veggies and less meat.

Cheese helps.

makeshreddedcheese

Matter of fact, cheese pretty much helps most situations.

You have a fight with a friend? Eat some four cheese pizza.

Sick with pneumonia? Eat some mac and cheese.

See how beautiful cheese is?

That’s why saving money on cheese has become essential for my family.

How I save money on cheese

How I save money on cheese

Cheese can be pretty pricey. The best way I have found (so far) to save money on cheese is buying it in bulk and shredding it myself.

Shredded cheese at the grocery store is outrageously priced. Not only that, but did you know that when you dive into a package of that store bought stuff, you aren’t eating only cheese? True. Check the ingredient list.

In order to shred my own cheese, I could spend hours doing it by hand, or take care of it real quick with this guy

makeshreddedcheese1

I stick blocks of cheese and let him shred it for me.

Then, I freeze containers of cheese for later use. They stay good in the freezer for months.

makeshreddedcheese2

I also cut off sticks of the cheese to use as a snack for my toddler. Cheese sticks at the store are another ridiculously priced product.

Whatever mood you are in, grab yourself some cheese, it will cheer you up.

makeshreddedcheese3

How do you save money on cheese? Do you have any tips like this that help you save money on your favorite food items?

18 comments

1. Julene says:

I really need to start doing this! I have a new huge food processor so I have no excuses. You’ve inspired me to get this on my stocking up To Do list.

• Beauty for ashes says:

It is a great way to ‘break in’ your new toy! 🙂 Let me know how it works out for you!

2. Jenn says:

I have been meaning to start grating my cheese and this sounds like a great way to do it! I am not sure which blade to use on the food processor. Which do you use?

• Beauty for ashes says:

Good question, there is one specifically for grating cheese. It has a bunch of holes in it! I think my food processor came with two different blades like this, you just have to choose which one creates the size of cheese you want. One makes them more fine than the other.

3. Julie @ Logger's Wife says:

We started shredding on our cheese with our food processor too to save money. It’s also better for you. They sometimes put some yucky stuff in to keep it from sticking. I just put a spoonful of cornstarch in the bag and shake it up. No more clump of cheese when I take it out of the freezer.

4. Allyson Tice says:

i am going top start shredding my own cheese! i never knew i could be saving so much money! plus all that other junk they add in is awful!

5. Barbara Adams says:

Same boat, less meat led to more cheese, but I swear the prices are climbing daily. I live near the border so we have been experimenting with Mexican cheeses, less expensive and adds differing flavors.

6. Lisa says:

I love the idea of making cutting your own cheese sticks! I shred my own cheese most of the time to save money but cutting it into cheese sticks is brilliant.

7. Kalona says:

i need to do this more! i haven’t used the cheese shredder on my food processor yet but i need to! how do you get the shredded cheese pieces to stay shredded and not freeze in a clump?

• Beauty for ashes says:

My best strategy is to put them in the fridge first, and then when they are good and chilled, transfer them to the fridge. I really don’t have much of a problem. Any that do freeze together, unfreeze when I put the container back in the fridge to use.

8. Ally says:

I don’t eat meat and loooove cheese. Shredded and blocks are the same price per pound at my store but both are still a bit more expensive than I like. I’ll have to look at buying in bulk! Maybe I can go in with a friend 🙂

Comments are closed.