8 Things I want my children to know about Santa

I’m not sure I have ever published a controversial post. I have never had a negative comment on my blog or Facebook page. All of you who read this blog are so kind, encouraging and supportive. I know the day is coming when someone will post something mean, but it just hasn’t yet.

However, something tells me, today is that day.

Santa is a hotly debated topic.

You hear people ask, “Do you do Santa in your house?” Much more often than you hear people ask, “Do you do devotions or pray as a family in your house?” Which, in my opinion is a much more relevant and important question.

I’m not really sure how to answer the question of; “Do you do Santa in your house?”

Instead, I want to express to you the things I want my children to know about Santa.

8 Things I want my kids to know about Santa.

8 Things I want my children to know about Santa

1. He is not real. As in, Santa is not really going to be coming down our chimney on Christmas Eve. He isn’t going to be eating our cookies (that would be the pregnant mama), and he isn’t going to be watching your every move.

2. He was real. I want my kids to know that Santa is symbolic of a real person. St Nicholas was a wonderful person who loved the Lord. He did great things for the sake of the Gospel.

3. He was good, but imperfect. St Nicholas was not a god, he was not a fairy tale creature. He was a real person who lived on this world and made mistakes. In essence, he was a sinner. Our culture has made him out to be this wonderful fairy tale creature who can do no wrong (except maybe eat too many cookies).

4. He is not Jesus. Jesus is not Santa. St Nicholas was imperfect, Jesus was perfect. St Nicholas was, Jesus Christ is. St Nicholas loved. Jesus IS love.

8 Things I want my children to know about Santa

5. He left a good example. St Nicholas (aka Santa) left us an amazing example of how to live in this world. He was a man who selflessly gave his time, money and possessions to those who needed them more. We should be more like him.

6. He doesn’t see you when you’re sleeping. That’s just creepy. An old, fat man watching my kids while they sleep isn’t sweet…is psycho. The only man who I’m okay with watching my children while they sleep, is my husband.

8 Things I want my children to know about Santaa

7. He isn’t there to keep a record of the good and bad things you do. Santa isn’t real, nor is he omnipresent so he can’t keep up with your good or your bad. However, there IS Someone who keeps a record of that. It’s not Santa.

God keeps a record of the sins in our lives. He notices when we do wrong. However, that is the Good News of Christmas. Jesus Christ has come to save us from our sins. Because of Jesus Christ, we no longer need to worry that God is keeping a record of our sins. Those who have given their lives to Christ are washed clean. No more record.

8. Santa isn’t real to us, but he is real to others. And that’s okay. Here’s the thing. I don’t think that this is a non-negotiable. If someone believes in Santa, it doesn’t mean they are going to hell. It’s just something that works for them. I do not want my children ruining Christmas for other kids. Nor do I want them to be judgmental of those who believe in Santa.

8 things I want my kids to know about Santa. They might just surprise you.

Do your children believe in Santa? How have you seen it be a good or bad thing in your home?

17 comments

1. Erica Layne says:

Yep, we do Santa, but I loved reading this because I love to slip in reminders of the meaningful aspects of Christmas wherever I can, and this post gave me some new ideas!

• Beauty for ashes says:

Erica, thank you so much! I’m glad you got a few ideas here and there (and glad you weren’t offended my any of them) 😉

2. Becca says:

I heard a woman at work the other day saying how she never did Santa with her kids, but she wanted them to be sure they didn’t go around bursting other kids’s bubbles regarding him. Which is wise, imo. I agree with this post overall, and no kidding on #6. 😉

3. Susan says:

I’ve never seen a better explanation of the Santa divergence. I was anti; spouse was pro. Kids evenly divided. I will say-with two older brothers-that I was disabused of Santa belief at a young age. I got in a boatload of trouble in kindergarten when I passed my knowledge on to other kids. Admittedly, I was always in trouble because I “paid too much attention to the boys” according to my progress report. Who knew that was a thing?

4. Donella Crigger says:

We don’t do Santa, but we celebrate St. Nick on his feast day. I don’t have a problem with Santa… our 3-year-old has just always understood that Santa is a “character” just like his toys, his favorite cartoons, etc., and I don’t want to trick him into thinking otherwise. I will try to make sure that he doesn’t ruin it for others when he starts school, though. 🙂

5. Carrie Daws says:

I love this!!

We do Santa (even though the youngest is now 12) primarily because I — me — the 40+ year old Mom — LOVES Santa. BUT — I’ve also ALWAYS told my children about St. Nicholas. I’ve ALWAYS told my children the truth when they asked questions (although when they were little bits, I wold occasionally avoid a question by asking a question 🙂 ).

I never wanted my kids to believe in the modern American idea of Santa Claus, but I wanted to raise them to hold the spirit of St. Nicholas in their hearts forever. I wanted children who loved people, were addicted to the treasure of giving, and sought the joy around every corner. And a little pretending just added to the fun of the lessons.

• Beauty for ashes says:

Carrie, I am glad you tell your kids the truth about it! I also love the spirit of Santa – the generosity and the giving nature. I want us to develop those habits as a family even more!

6. Rachel @ Wife, Then Mama says:

We were on the fence, but out of the blue one of our foster daughters asked me how Santa came down the chimney. I refuse to lie to my kids, and had just been telling them how magic isn’t real. So I told them that Santa is pretend and that he doesn’t really go down the chimney. I can’t be telling them that there is no such thing as magic, and then tell them Santa uses magic to go down the chimney…
    Rachel @ Wife, Then Mama recently posted…Who Is That Baby, and WHY Does He Have My Blanket?”

7. Glenna McKelvie says:

I thought your post was awesome– When I was young I didn’t believe in Santa, mainly because we were poor! So when my husband and and I had 3 kids we played the fantasy to the hilt! But, we have grandchildren now and when one of them founf out Santa wasn’t real he sobbed “and is Jesus a lie, too?” So, we have all softened our stance on Santa! Love

8. Catherine says:

I know your post is 2 years old, but I just wanted to let you know that it is so helpful to me at clearly explaining our choices in not doing Santa. I have a 4 year old, 3 year old and an 18 month old and we are getting to the wire with how to carry out our Advent and Christmas traditions that leave us focused on preparing for the birth of Christ and sharing his love with others by giving of ourselves rather than focused on getting, getting, and getting. My mom always blames the time that my brother learned about Santa for his path to questioning God. I am not confident that I can straddle the line between doing Santa AND being focused on Christ. You explained your Santa choices very well–thank you!

Comments are closed.