This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayHens #CollectiveBias
If you think serving a gourmet holiday meal with three young children sounds like an impossible task, well…you’re right.
At least, it would be impossible if you are doing it by yourself, and serving up something that takes hours and hours of work and labor to do.
(Or unless you are superwoman)
Since most moms don’t have extra hours and hours to prepare one meal, making a gourmet holiday meal seems like something that has to be relegated to the empty nesting years.
Here are 5 easy steps to make a simple meal at home into a gourmet holiday meal.
- Make the preparation super simple: The idea is for the meal to only LOOK difficult. Find a recipe that would work to wow the guests while keeping you away from the kitchen as long as possible. See the Crock Pot Cornish Hens recipe below for one of my favorite ways to do this.
- Get out the fancy dinnerware: Don’t leave your fancy dishes in the cabinet gathering dust, use this as an excuse to get them out.
- Dress up: Even if you are eating a meal with your spouse and three children, make it a fancy meal and have everyone dress up a little!
- Set the mood: Light some candles and put some soft music on in the background.
- Set the tone: This is true ESPECIALLY if you have children. Let them know that this is going to be a special meal to celebrate ‘just for fun’ (unless you really have something to celebrate) and they need to display their best manners. This is also a great way to get them practicing their manner skills.
Crock pot Cornish Hens
These are so simple, and yet perfect for entertaining. They look fancy, but they are really so easy to prepare. If you are looking for an idea other than turkey for your holiday meal, this might be it.
They look great on a platter served whole, or you could cut them up in pieces (this is what we did for our family, since we have little hands and mouths).
I served my Cornish Hens with mashed potatoes, roasted root vegetables, green beans, bread and fruit.
Who knew a gourmet meal could be so easy?
In case you are having trouble finding them, I got my Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens from Kroger in the freezer section. Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens are all natural with no artificial ingredients or added hormones. For more recipes, as well as nutrition information, check out Tyson’s website.